Thursday, November 27, 2014

Bar Code Tattoo Trilogy

Hey all! This next review is on the Bar Code Tattoo trilogy by Suzanne Weyn. I thought this series was okay. It's another dystopian novel set in the year 2025. I finished the last book about an hour ago actually after getting it from the library. 

Here's a brief summary of the series. Basically it's the year 2025 and the government has become corrupted by the President who is working with this government organization called Global-1, or G-1 for short. The President has forced everyone 17 and older to get the Bar Code Tattoo, a tattoo that stores all your genetic and money information with nanobots. You no longer have to carry around a wallet or credit card. Sounds pretty great huh? No. Not at all. It is destroying people's lives! It won't let some people pay bills or even get into a store! 

17 year old Kayla Reed's life has exploded with the Bar Code. Everything in her life has fallen apart just because she choose not to get the Bar Code Tattoo. Kayla had joined a Bar Code resistance group called Decode that is against getting the Bar Code. She then falls in love with one of her fellow resisters and they run away together to the Adirondack Mountains after tragedy strikes within Kayla's family.

So I don't want to spoil too much of the series, but I just want to say that I was greatly disappointed by the second book. It was kind of a let down and it felt that that Weyn had a good idea, but it fell apart on paper. The final book, however, was so much like the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld. Like the Uglies series book Extras, The Bar Code Prophecy starts out with a new character that has not been talked about in the previous books, and introduces a love interest for the new character. The main characters from the previous books also come back in the middle or near the end of the books. All in all, I think the first book was my favorite. It was the beginning and I think it showed the most character development for Kayla. It also showed the beginnings of the strong bond between Kayla and Mfumbe, her boyfriend.

To conclude, I thought this series was okay. It's definitely not going on my Top Ten List, but I think I would reread it given the chance. The reason I got the first book out was it was written by one of my favorite authors. Weyn also write the book Distant Waves, which I've read over three time! I love that book so much! I would totally recommend it over The Bar Code Tattoo series. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment