Sunday, December 21, 2014

Top Ten Books of 2014!

Displaying IMG_0687.JPG
Hey all! I know I said I would be doing my Top Ten Books of 2014 tomorrow, but it turns out I'm going over to a friend's house from 1-6 so I'll be busy there. So I have to admit that I cheated a bit. I did some that are the whole series of books because it was just too hard to choose one from the series. Remember the books go from my least favorite to my absolute favorite! I read a lot, and I mean A LOT of really good books this year, so it was really hard for me to choose only ten books. I hope you enjoy this!

Number 10: The Shatter Me Series by Tahereh Mafi
The reason this series is so low on my list is because the main character is really, really annoying. In the first book she was okay, but in the second book every time she opened her mouth I wanted to punch her in the face. She was always moping around in the second book about her powers and how she was killing her boyfriend with every touch. Boo hoo. I don't really care anymore. You've told me the same thing like fifteen times in the last twenty chapters. Maybe I'm judging this series a little harshly because I've only read the first two books, but can't Julliet think of something new to say? The first book was so good but the second book disappointed me completely. I will have to read the rest of the books soon, but I first have to recover from Unravel Me.
Number Nine: Sky Raiders by Brandon Mull
I just found out right now that the sequel is out so that book might bump this up on my list. I have this thing with leading female characters where I either love them to death, or I hate them. Take Annabeth Chase. In the Percy Jackson series, I loved her. But in the Heroes of Olympus series, I absolutely abhorred her. That goes with the female character in this book. I'm not going to spoil it for you guys, but she has this really dark secret, and she scolds people for doing what they think is right and trusting their gut. One of the main characters does something he know will work in favor for them (and it does), but after she goes nuts on him and they get into an argument about it. It worked in your favor, lady! Get over yourself! Geez! I really dislike her. On top of that, she's a bragger and doesn't know when to stop. I read Mull's other series Beyonders and I really liked it. The female character in that series was so much better than the one in this one. The plot line was pretty good and the ending left me hungry for more. When I get my hands on the sequel, I'll let you guys know if it changed the way I think about this series.
Number Eight: The Gone Series by Michael Grant
I read all the books in this series except for the last one, but that shouldn't affect this. This series doesn't get nearly enough credit. It has it all: disabled heroes, and most of the heroes of females. They are strong, and know how to kick some serious butt. There are no useless characters in this series; each person plays a part in these six books. Everytime I pick up the next book in the series I always say to myself: This is going to be just like the previous book, don't do it. But of course I read it anyway and they always turn out to be much better than I expected. Each book shows character growth and has a new, exciting story. The only reason these books are so far back on the list is because I didn't read all the books this year and when I did they were spread out during the year and it took a while to remember what happened in the previous books. But it's a wonderful series that I enjoyed greatly.
Number Seven: The Red Necklace/The Silver Blade by Sally Gardner 
Number seven is The Red Necklace and its sequel The Silver Blade. These books take place in the French Revolution where everyone is getting their heads cut off willy nilly. I learned a lot about the French Revolution from these books considering that I knew nothing about it before. There is a cast of interesting and surprising characters that Gardner describes with her amazing weave of words that she spins with these two books. The amount of detail and research that went into this book is amazing! I wish these two books were nearer to number 1, but there are so many good books I read! I highly suggest you read these books! They are amazing and perfect! What are you still doing here? GO READ IT!
Number Six: Twilight by Stephenie Meyer 
Okay haters, open fire. I loved this book! It was well written and there was a definite plot line. It was also surprisingly funny. People let the movies define this series, but the books are so much better! READ THE BOOKS HATERS! Sorry, I just get really upset when people hate on my fandoms. We're all fangirls here people! Would you like me to hate on Divergent and the Fault in Our Stars, my two least favorite books? No, no you wouldn't. Anyway, I highly recommend this book to people who judge the fandom by its members and movies. So before you judge, read the books. 
Number Five: Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld
I read this series a little while back and fell in love with it! It was the first in a long line of dystopian series I would read and it set my standards pretty high. The mix of new technology and advances on what we already have made me wonder what was in store for our future and if people would really turn to having everyone becoming "pretty" on their 16th birthday. At first I was a little hesitant to read the final book in the series because it introduces a completely new character and the main character of the previous books doesn't show up until more than halfway through the book, but I'm sure glad I did! If you're thinking of starting to read dystopian books, start with reading this series because it shows all the greatest elements of the genre. 
Number Four: While We Run/When We Wake by Karen Healey
These books are sick! I loved reading these! However, the first book was better than the second. It is yet another dystopian series that is set in Australia. It's set a little of 100 years in the future where people have donated their body to science and have been received from the dead. I fell in love with the sassy main character Tegan and her journey around a almost foreign land that is so familiar, but so different. I loved reading these, and I highly recommend them.  
Number Three: The Book Thief by Markus Zasak
I loved this book! My friend had told me that the beginning of this book was boring and hard to get into, but the book narrated by Death sucked me in like a vice. I didn't know a whole lot about the Holocaust era and this book was able to explain it fully to me. The ending was so sad though! And the movie adaptation made me feel like my heart had been ripped out of my body! But I can't express my love for this book because it was so good! Go read it! DO IT NOW! You're missing out!
Number Two: The Maze Runner Trilogy by James Dashner 
 
Wow this series was good! It was better than good! It was amazing! And the movie was great as well! My favorite character is Brenda and I totally ship her and Thomas! And my poor Newt! I love you shuck-face! I love to use slang from these books at school and make people wonder what the heck I'm saying! Only a few girls at my school have read these books, so it gives me an excuse to talk to boys about books! That's always a plus! And the imagines on Tumblr written for this story are so good! AHH! I just love this series so much! 
Before I tell you my Number One read of this year, let's go with some honorable mentions that I totally forgot about but totally deserve to on this list!
Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan
Lorien Legacies by Pittacus Lore 
Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater 
The Reluctant Assassin by Eoin Colfer 
Without Warning by Dennis Hamley
Percy Jackson's Greek Gods by Rick Riordan
Number One: The Montmaray Journals by Michelle Cooper
Okay. I cannot even right now! These books are the single most amazing thing I read all year! Which is saying something for the girl who read 20+ books in the last few months. These books were well written and researched, and I learned more about the World War II era than ever before! I actually tear up when I think about this series! I grew attached to the characters and I was so sad to see them go! I really wish Cooper would write another book in the series, or that I would be able to find another great book series as great as this one. It was amazing to read and I wish that there was something I could do to be sent back to this time period. This is making me sad to write right now, so I have to wrap it up. Please read this book series! I am begging you! After you read it, tell me what you think of it. 

And so ends our journey through my Top Ten Books of 2014! What did you think of my list? What were some great books you read this year? Tell me in the comments! I hope you enjoyed this list! Maybe my admin will post her list too! (That may be wishful thinking...) I'll see you all next year with the Top Ten Books of 2015! Please R&R!



No comments:

Post a Comment