Wednesday, November 26, 2014

When We Wake


Hey all! I know! Sorry for not getting this review out earlier! This one is on the book When We Wake bye Karen Healey! I read this one a couple of weeks ago too and really enjoyed it! 

I bet you all are wonder what it's about, so here we go! Australian native Tegan Oglietti is dead. Or she was before scientist brought her back to life 100 years after she died. The future isn't what she (or anyone else) thought it would be. Dark and dangerous secrets arise, and Tegan must make a choice: fight for a better world, or ignore the horrors and live like a good little government puppet? Healey spins a tale of what she imagines the future like, and leaves it up to us to change it. 

This story is a lot like the Uglies series by Scott Westerfield. The main character has her main love interest at the beginning of the book go away or not like her back so she finds a new one who is completely different from her old flame. In this case, Tegan's boyfriend happens to be dead, and now she finds a boy who looks a lot like him in looks, but isn't like him in personality at all. It's also like the Bar Code Tattoo trilogy by Scott Blake, in the way that it's a dystopian novel that empowers a girl to choose between saving her country or bowing down to the government.

I honestly really, really liked this book. I thought it was well written and reminded me of those other books I read. This is a hard genre to write in, in the way that all of the books are very similar in plot base. But I thought Healey was able to spin this wonderful tale and make it stand out to me. Not that she wrote it specifically for me, but it seemed like that at times during the book! I got my hands on the sequel While We Run, and I'm really enjoying it! It was a bit more confusing than the beginning of When We Wake, but I was able to figure it out, and now I really love it!

My favorite character in this book had to be Tegan. Being the main character I felt I could really understand her better than any of the other characters. Healey really allowed me to connect with her in the form of music. Tegan really likes the band The Beatles, who I listen to all the time! Just check my iPod! I have an whole Greatest Hits album on there! She also likes to play guitar, which I really, really want to learn (but have no ambition)! She's also funny and has a very dry sense of humor. But thing I like most about her is her relationship with Abdi. He's this guy she meets in the future who looks exactly like the boy she had a crush on in the past. At first Abdi acted really cold and distant toward him, but after some time they slowly developed a friendship that turned into something more. I think they are one of the cutest book couples I've ever read about (which is saying something because I've read a lot of books!).

To sum this up, I LOVED THIS BOOK! It was well written and the characters were well developed. I can't wait to finish the sequel While We Run! Until next time!
~Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment